user_mobilelogo
Availability & Book Online
Arrival Date
Type Of Accommodation
Length Of Stay
 

bluepoolbayBlue Pool Bay is one of Gower's most charming bays. There are no roads or lanes leading to this beach and its location and very sheltered position at the base of u-shaped cliffs is such that only those who know about its existence, and are not afraid of a good walk, ever frequent the clean sands here. It is not a beach that is usually just stumbled upon and the average tourist will usually settle for the larger, more easily accessed neighbouring beach of Broughton. For that reason, Blue Pool is also one of Gower's quieter bays.

At low tide, the beach is best accessed from Broughton Bay along the shoreline. As the tide comes in, however, Blue Pool Bay is cut off from Broughton, making this approach impossible. At these times, a walk southwards along the cliffs at Broughton will lead to a beautiful walk along cliff top dunes. By following this path, the walker will eventually reach Burry Holmes and Llangennith Sands. However, if a careful watch is kept to the seaward view, well before these two land marks are reached, a wide stretch of sand will be noticed clinging to the foot of the cliffs. Descending the well-used slope to the northerly edge of the beach will soon bring the large rock pool, which gives this bay its name, into view.

bluepoolbay2Blue Pool itself is an immense rock pool which legend has held is bottomless. Whilst this is obviously not the case, the depth of the rock pool has been measured at between four and eight metres, depending on tidal and weather conditions. This depth of water has made the rock pool popular for diving.

The cliffs around Blue Pool Bay has an interest formation known as the Three Chimneys. Here is located a small bone cave known as Culver Hole (which is not to be mistaken for the Port Eynon/Overton cave of the same name). This cave has yielded numerous prehistoric finds.

Near Three Chimneys, gold doubloons from a Portugese shipwreck, were discovered in 1770 and again in 1840. The cliffs here still evidence the blasting they received as prospectors wondered whether more coins were hidden within their deep crevices.