Ilston is one of the oldest villages on the Gower Peninsula. It is also one of the most tranquil. St. Illtyd's Church, with its massive Norman tower, is the biggest feature of the village. The hamlet is tucked amidst a beautifully wooded valley, through which runs the gently meandering stream known locally as the 'Killy-Willy'. Following this stream through the wooded valley may sometimes reward the walker with a rare glimpse of the beautiful Kingfisher whilst an investigation of the stream itself reveals Minnows, Bull Heads and Eels of modest to large size.
From St. Illtyd's Church, noting the huge yew tree which is as old as the church itself, an excellent walk can be undertaken which leads all the way down through Parkmill to Three Cliffs Bay. This walk passes the remains of Wales' first Baptist Chapel. The ruins are celebrated by a commemorative plaque which was unveiled by Lloyd George in 1928.
Access to the village requires some tight navigation through some very narrow country lanes, which can require a little give and take with oncoming traffic, especially in summer months when the whole of the peninsula can become quite clogged with traffic.